Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Daddy loves me very much. He always makes me laugh.

The title of this post is the first two lines from a song my Father wrote for his kids. The "Hunting Dog" song is one that was written before I was born and continues to be sung at all major family events. One of my brothers even sang it for a school talent show in the late 60s. It has certainly passed the test of time.

And the words themselves still ring true. I think I can honestly say that no one I know has made me laugh as much as my Dad. Seeing as he and my Mom are the people I've known the longest...it may make sense, but somehow I don't think everyone has the blessing of such a comical parent. It's not that he's comedy material, although occasionally "Steve Martin-esk" comes to mind. Many of his laughs are gotten at his expense, but I think he plans it that way. He likes to come off as clueless, but I think he grabs at the possibility of making someone else laugh and works it!

So the latest in his travels had he and my Mother flying to Florida last week. My sister, Kathi, has a place at The Villlllllages: America's Friendliest Hometown! (Sorry, I can't get myself to just name the place without singing the song) Regardless, this has been such a wonderful blessing that my sister has this place and that she gets them to use it. Sometimes this is by brute force, but it must be done.

The day before they left I talked to them and had the typical pre-departure conversation with my Mother who hadn't started packing, felt guilty they were going, already wanted to change the tickets to return home earlier, etc.

I actually remembered that Monday that they were flying down from Pennsylvania despite my pension for forgetting everyone else's plans in the attempt to keep my own life strait. I had taken my girls out shopping and even mentioned at about 2pm, "Nana and BobBob should be in Florida by now!" We all grimaced with jealousy as it was cold and raining in KS!

Shortly after, I'm in Claire's with a set of ears who just got pierced (not mine) and I got a call from my Dad. "We're still in Harrisburg. The plane broke down and they had to get another part." I start to do the math and realize they must have been at the airport for hours by now. My parents are relatively healthy and still kicking pretty hard, but I still hate to see them put out like that. I think the airline gave them $10 to eat...whoo hoo! Big spenders!

Also, I hate to fly so had I been told the airport had to replace a part on my plane...I would've just gone home taking it as a sign. But, they spent the day in the very exciting Harrisburg International Airport. We are not talking O'Hare folks, I think Hburg has a couple newspaper machines and a little kiosk that sells bad coffee and stale donuts. Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but you get the picture.

They sit and read and get lunch and read and get dinner and make a few phone calls. Eventually, they get on the plane about 8 hours later than scheduled.

During this time, my sister who has already been at The Villllllages, for a few days is in the midst of transporting her husband and kids to different locations. I know she had to make at least one airport run to Orlando that day and it's a couple hours from the condo. The original plan was to put her husband on a plane in Orlando and bring her daughter to one of the Disney parks until my parents plane came in.

From what I understand, she was already at Disney when my parents called to tell her they had to wait. There was discussion of getting on an earlier plane and several other possible scenarios of their arrival. Therefore, the phone calls were back and forth...and forth and back.

When my parents finally got on the newly repaired aircraft, they tried to call and let my sister know. She was out of reach. Space Mountain, perhaps? My Father kept trying to call and was getting frustrated. He had quickly befriended the man sitting next to him (surprise). At some point, this gentleman offered to send my sister a text to let her know they were on their way.

"Mary, you should've seen this guy. He was kind of old and it took him forever to type the text!" says my 82 year old father who has never sent a text in his life!

During this discussion of "the text" my father said, "Did you know that you're supposed to turn off your cell phone when the airline takes off and lands? When did that start? I've never heard of such a thing." I told him they always say that and probably he never heard it if the female attendant was cute! I still don't even know if he got that info, from the old man next to him or the schpeal they gave before take off. I'm thinking the guy in seat B.

The flight itself was thankfully uneventful. As they taxi to the gate, Dad was still anxious to actually talk to Kathi. He is busy calling repeatedly and finally gets through. Because the airplane is loud, people are starting to move around, and he can't hear very well, he turns on the speaker.

NOTE: I rarely talk to my parents on the phone (land line or cell) when they do not have the speaker on. My Mother's hearing has been failing (don't get me started on the stupid doctors who can't get her hearing aids right) and they put it on speaker so my Dad can repeat stuff if my Mom misses it.

The speaker is on. He has a full conversation with my sister re: getting her husband on his plane, time in Disney with her daughter, their adventures in trying to get on a flight, the fact that they have landed, the price of tea in China, the workings of the kitchen sink, the beatings of a dead horse, and, no doubt, the reinvention of the wheel. The grace in this is that I know Kathi is not one for chit chat on the phone. Had it been me he was calling, I am sure there would've been additional details regarding children's bowel movements discussed.

As the plane stops at the gate and people start standing up and gathering their carry ons, someone turns around and says "I hope things work out with you meeting your daughter!" Someone else from the other side of the plane nods in agreement. My Dad cluelessly says, "You could hear me talking to my daughter?" Most people in front of him looked back and nodded. So he turns around and looks behind him. He says to the people in the next row with his classic face of innocence, "Could you hear my phone call?" As far as three rows back, there are smiles and nods.

My Mother, who was one row back and didn't hear a thing, is on the other side of the plane wondering why my Father is attracting attention from so many people. (Not that this is unheard of, but still...)

And as they disembark from the plane and walk towards baggage claim, they are met with smiles and well wishers from fellow passengers. "I hope Kathi gets here soon." "Enjoy your vacation!" "Sorry you've had such a rough day." "Tell Kathi we said Hi!"


It's been a week and I still cannot think about this scenario without laughing out loud! I love you DAD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment