Friday, January 15, 2016

Changes

What a day.  What a week.  What a year.  What a life!

Music.  It defines so much.  How many times do you hear a song and it immediately reminds you of a person, a place, a time?  For me, many MANY times.  I am sometimes amazed at what I remember when I hear an obscure song.  A tune comes on that you rarely hear on the radio or it was never very popular in the first place, but it was playing when something significant happened.  It spoke to you about whatever you were going through at the time.  Someone you knew loved that song or made fun of that song.  Your boyfriend dedicated it to you on the radio in 10th grade. (You know, when you held the cassette recorder up to the radio to tape it?) You did a cheer dance to it, it played at your wedding, you heard it sung at a funeral.

Bruce Springsteen was a huge part of my childhood, mostly, because I had four older brothers who liked him.  In trying to be cool, I memorized most of his songs.  At that point there weren't a ton of 3rd graders musing over the lyrics of "Greetings from Asbury Park," but I digress.

It just seems fitting that a line in an Eric Church song which sums up my feelings for music, is in a song called "Springsteen."

"Funny how a melody sounds like a memory..."

That. Is. It. Exactly.   I shouldn't have to describe it beyond that.  If you feel that I should, perhaps you should just stop reading here because we are obviously not on the same wavelength.  Bye Felicia!

For all those who have stayed, I'm glad you get it.  

As I think about this, I'm tempted to make a list of songs and what they conjour up.  For starters, and in no particular order, here are a few examples:

I will never be able to hear _________  without thinking of _________ .

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer - driving my sister to the hospital when she was in labor.  (I started to sing...her head spun around 3 times.)

"I Love Rock N' Roll" by Joan Jett - my first real kiss on the Minuteman ski lift at Roundtop.  (I had a runny nose.  I'll leave it at that.)

"Burning Down the House" by Talking Heads - being in a dorm room at Rutgers.  (It was the first song I ever heard on a CD. It was the first time I had White Castle. It was a night which did not end well.)

"Changes" by David Bowie - driving myself to the doctor on the day I found out that Baby Gerard had died inside of me.


I remember it coming on.  I liked David Bowie.  This was a good thing because I was trying to stay calm while I drove.  I had realized a day, maybe two prior, that the baby wasn't moving as much.  Was it moving at all?  This was my fourth child, how could I suddenly not know if the baby was kicking?  At the advice of my sister, who did in fact manage to keep her head despite the spinning and delivered my niece that night of Buddy Holly, I made an appointment for an ultrasound.  It was really just to put my mind at ease.  If you know me, you know my mind is rarely, if ever, at ease.

I was about 23 weeks along.  Was already in maternity clothes, showing enough for the Germans to glare at me while I walked down the street with three kids shoved into a double stroller.  You could see them mentally doing the math and realizing that, although they looked alike and were a cloud of chaos, there were in fact three children in the stroller and this foolish woman was about to unload a fourth. Not to mention that this STUPID AMERICAN was allowing those toddlers to suck on icicles they picked up off the sidewalk like they were popsicles. (Yeah Fraulein, sue me!)
.  

Back to David Bowie.  I liked him.  Again, a good thing to have a song I could sing along to as I drove to keep my mind off the fact that I somehow already knew I was about to get the most devastating news of my life. 

The song along with the following argument with myself ensued:


"Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes. 
Turn and face the strange ch-ch-changes...."

Oh. My. Word.  God is trying to tell me something!  

Don't be an idiot. It's a song on AFN.  

No really, think about it.  He is telling me it's bad news.

No really, get a grip.  Coincidence, that's all.  I knew I should have asked a friend to come with me.



"I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream."

Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.

Calm down.  Don't run over that tiny German car.  Be glad you have a jeep so the Germans will stay out of your lane.

I can't calm down.  How can I calm down?  I'm in a foreign country.  I want my Mom.

Wuss.



"Turn and face the strange ch-ch-changes..."

I don't want to face any changes.  I want everything to stay exactly the same.

Oh Lord.  Don't be so stupid.  If this child is alive, things are gonna change fo' sho!  Maybe that's all this song means.



"Time may change me but you can't trace time."

This is the time that is going to change me forever.  Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.

We're in the hospital parking lot.  Turn off the car, open your door, get out...

I can't.  I need to sit here until this song is over because maybe if I do, it will be okay.

Great.  It's official.  I'm crazy.  

Seriously, think about it.  What if nothing is wrong?

Uhhhh?  How about going to find out?

Well, if nothing is wrong than I will love this song forever, because it talks about facing time and change head on.  And the baby will have an anthem!

Honestly, I have NO EARTHLY IDEA exactly what this song is about. Except maybe it's about The Breakfast Club.  Yeah, the baby will have an anthem, we'll all have an anthem, it'll be anarchy!



"I said that time may change me but I can't trace time."

It's over.  Oh no!  Oh God.  I have to go in there.  I don't want to go in there.  Maybe I could just drive home and not find out and everything will be fine.

Dude!  Did you hear that?  

What?

Well, first he said "you can't trace time" but the last time he said, "I can't trace time."  Huh.  I never noticed that before.

Seriously, my baby's life is in the balance here and suddenly David Bowie's choice of pronouns is what I am debating in the German Hospital parking lot?

Well, yeah.  It's like that time I was reading the Exercist late at night and when the book closed, I saw the 666 on the cover, but I had never noticed it before, so really, was it ALWAYS there?  Creepy!



And I went in.  And the doctor turned on the monitor.  And the doctor swung the monitor around so I could not see it.  And the nurse frowned.  And the doctor said, "This baby is kaput."  And the doctor left the room.

My first son was delivered a few days later.

That was over 12 years ago, but I remember like it was yesterday....every single time I hear that song.  It all comes back; the fear, the drive, sitting in the parking lot forcing myself to listen until the haunting sax notes at the end.  And in those 12 years I have only heard the song in it's entirety a handful of times.  If I can change the channel, leave the room, put my hands over my ears and hum, I will do it.  Anything to not go back to that moment in time.  But I do anyway,  it only takes a few notes.

David Bowie's death five days ago, conjured up so many memories for all of us who were touched by his music.  Major Tom completely freaked me out as a kid.  True story.  I loved the song, but it scared the daylights out of me.  Ziggy Stardust seemed like it was cool, but I really had no understanding of what he was doing.  And then came the 80s!  God Bless the 80's in all their musical glory.  "Let's Dance" was totally awesome because an established rock star of the 70's had embraced the pop style of the day and had everyone I knew dancing to "Modern Love" at the Carlisle Barracks teen club. Good stuff.

When I heard years later, in some TV interview, that Bowie came to despise some of those songs it broke my heart.  If I have it right, he felt he was being forced to do the pop thing when he really wanted to do the David Bowie thing.  He was mocking "under the moonlight, the serious moonlight."  Wait, "the serious moonlight" was a profound statement was it not?  Suddenly, I worried everything about my formative years was a lie.  I was totally bummed.  In time, I got over my disillusionment and tried not to think about that interview when the radio station had 80s weekend.  Instead, I just sang as loud as I could to annoy my children.

Seeing the news and posts about David Bowie's death has made it difficult to not think about his song that took on such meaning for me. I love to use music to help me tell my stories my way.  Who knows, maybe I have misinterpreted all of his songs, all of his lyrics. Like how when I was very young I thought Carol King was singing about a broken down car causing someone to miss a birthday party. "It's too late, baby, now it's too late though we really did try to make it.  Something inside has died..."  But isn't that one of the gifts of music? We can hear what an artist has given us and find a meaning that maybe only we understand. Maybe everyone takes something different away from the same song and how cool is that?

On that cold October day, David Bowie sang.  He sang about searching for something, for himself perhaps, for who he wanted to be.  About how time changes things, but it's not always so quick and obvious.  About how time goes on, and history repeats itself in the children we raise.  About how we age, and there's nothing we can do about it.  At least, that is what he sang to me.

Rest in Peace Mr. Bowie and thank you for being there.









1 comment:

  1. the thoughts we have in those moments we cannot really comprehend...a protective mechanism of sorts, I suppose. Once I went to a doctor appointment, watched an ultrasound for a long time, exulting in my beautiful little baby, so perfectly formed, and I never knew, never realized his/her little heart had never taken a beat. The doctor had to break it to me. Their quiet, serious silence...I was oblivious. I look back and cannot believe it didn't come to me on my own, but we are so hopeful, and we are so in love...
    I learned alot about the circumstances of this day for you, Mary. I was living far away then, and heard later. Once again, I'm amazed, and I think this proves again how you are one of the bravest people I know. I love you.
    May it never be easy, to think of losing one so precious and close to you. Your heart is not of stone, and may it never be. I do pray blessings of peace, and hope in God's goodness for our lives, over this. It's the only way I could get thru it. I love you.

    ReplyDelete